Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,012

I have some baby larkspur I grew from seed.I'm not sure whether to plant them in tubs or in the border.Does anyone else have experience of them? This is the first time I've owned any.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,024

The annual larkspur?

I'd have that in the garden. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,722

Oooh yes, in the garden border - such very pretty things - they'll self-seed too so you'll have some next year too - mix them up with other cottage garden plants, you'll have a picture image

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in - Greek proverb 
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I've just sown some straight into the border; never grown them before.

Fishy, love the picture of your dogimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,692

I grew these in a thin, stony little border under a back window in my first proper garden along with Nigella and they were lovely. Very easy. image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,012

Many thanks folks for your very helpful replies.Yes nutcutlet I'm pretty sure they're annuals,I bought a packet of seeds...sowed them into 10 cells and got 5 plants.

One thing to ask,are slugs/snails likely to eat them? I get a lot in my garden and would hate to see my babies gobbled up,they're still small and I hate putting pellets down.I think that's why I was considering tubs cos I can control slug access more easily.

Thank you artjak,we lost him in March 2012 and having a pic of him keeps him alive in my heart.We have another Border and a Black Lab now image

• galestgalest Posts: 59

In the border but go careful if you let them self seed. After 4 yrs of letting mine self seed im over run with them. Theres hundred growing thro peonys pinks any anything else you can think of. This yr I had to pull buckets of them out as they had overtaken my garden and had even travelled 100metres up the garden then they jumped into the veggie garden so beware.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,024

I have that with Love in a mist but can't get the larkspurs to do it

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,012

Thanks guys...hmm that's interesting.Perhaps it is different soil types etc and trial and error.In my garden its Candytuft and Hollyhocks that come up everywhere.In a way I do hope they self seed rapidly,I like plants that can look after themselves cos it saves me having to do it image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Nigella also did that to me;it has taken about 7 years to eradicate and I still have a few this spring!image