Forum home Wildlife gardening

Ideas for an old bird box

I have a bird box that is no longer in use. It was used last year by sparrows and then we had a rat in there during the winter - I suspect she is the one who has now ensconced herself in my attic. Anyway, I have bought some new boxes and this one although perfectly useable never got put back up. So, I'm wondering if I could use it for some other purpose? Would toads or frogs use it maybe? If so where would I need to site it and would I need to add anything to the box in way of bedding materials?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Frogs and toads like damp places. How about rebuilding it as one of those insect hotels

• nutcutlet wrote (see)

Frogs and toads like damp places. How about rebuilding it as one of those insect hotels

Not very creative in that department image Hubby might be able to do a better job than me. We do already have an insect hotel, albeit a small one, and I have been thinking about a larger one.

I'm no good at building things. I can see exactly what I want to do but I can't saw straight or knock a nail in  image

• nutcutlet wrote (see)

I'm no good at building things. I can see exactly what I want to do but I can't saw straight or knock a nail in  image

Me neither. When I look at something I want to do, garden or house, I can see an  image in my mind of how it could look, but it never turns out how I imagine it.

I envy those who can turn out a bug hotel or build a fence. I can only grow plants and they do that themselves

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,923
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

I can only grow plants and they do that themselves

Not my echinaceas...image

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,080

Make into a bee home, keep it how it is put on the ground or fence but not so high up.

I put up a bird house under a tree and I saw a bee go in the hole so maybe a bee home it will keep them dry still good for wildlife 

Hampshire Gardener
  • Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

We had a lovely nest of bumble bees in an old bird box!  No need to do anything special, just leave it where you don't mind a few buzzy friends milling around and where they can get at something pollenny.