Dahlia bed

I have a dahlia bed, how can we help?

• Hi Kate I am new to Dahlias, I thought I would plant them in raised beds as part of a cuttting flower area, but the dahlias seem to need to be planted 90cm apart! Which doesn't leave me a lot of room for anything else, do they really need such big spacings?
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

You can plant them closer than that -I do-that distance is if you want exhibition blooms-for cutting in the garden it is not so vital -just give them room to grow.

• It's pouring with rain and not exactly warm. I believe I shouldn't contemplate planting out my Dahias until it warms up a lot?
  • Thanks for your help sotongeoff, I will want to cut them for the house, I'm nervous about getting the planting wrong.

Have you started them into growth or are they just dried tubers?

What part of the country are you?

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

90cm! mine are a lot closer than that. I try to avoid the tubers touching as that can cause problems.

I started my tubers indoors and have now planted a lot of them out as they are going strong.

• They are only just starting to show signs of life. I don't have a greenhouse, so they are in a warm sheltered part of my garden protected by sheets of glass that I salvaged from an old greenhouse
  • Hi Kate, Sarah Raven recommends 90cm for the taller varieties, the one that grow 100cm tall? Or have I misunderstood? Which is quite possible !

I planted mine out 2 weeks ago-you can plant them quite deep so if there is an unexpected late frost they will resprout-I would suggest that once it stops raining you get them in.

• I am in the welsh marches, lots of rain at the moment...