Begonias

I have bedding begonias in a container that have survived the winter. Will they flower again this year?

• LynLyn Posts: 8,402

Mine did. I left two of them in by accident, i thought i had got them all out.  I wouldnt leave them in deliberately though.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

Yes they will reflower, as Lyn has said. The problem if they survive frosts is that they tend to be get lanky, infested with insects and generally look bad. I would suggest if yours are lanky to cut them down to encourage bushy growth.

• Thanks for your replies. I shall tidy them up a bit, although they look just as they were left last autumn, refresh the compost and see what happens. 

• thzadthzad Posts: 5
    I really need to know about the best recipe of soil to plant a list of begonia speices for a competition in june. Hope anybody could prescribe me.
  • Welcome thzad All begonias prefer well drained soil rich in compost or organic matter,I use soilless mix.

• LynLyn Posts: 8,402

I use anything i have got, they dont seem to be fussy here. They are very tolerant, in different stuff every year.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • AWBAWB Posts: 400

Wow what an inspiration Lyn.

i must get busy in the greenhouse, and not sit here .

• Lyn very nice,wish I had a greenhouse.

Bill

• thzadthzad Posts: 5
    great,i really hoped to get a clear view of soiless mix because we are going to plant on a space given.How about a garden bed?,by the way,I'm going to compete with students among Malaysians in Putrajaya Floria 2014 on behalf of my colleage and for this year the theme choosed was Begonia.thanks bill.