Forum home Wildlife gardening

WILDLIFE PICTURES

• LoreaLorea Posts: 81

Thought I'd post this one I took last year, on the fennel:

I think it's a papilio machaon which turn into the most beautiful butterfly.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

image Extraordinary.

• LoreaLorea Posts: 81

Oh, and just found this one of a tiny baby praying mantis:

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 965

Some fantastic photos. I need a camera to take just such photos - nothing too complicated...any pointers, recommendations, pitfalls...We've just had great spotted woodpecker chicks fledge and I got so frustrated because the camera on my phone would just not focus/zoom enough to give me a decent snap!

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

@daintiness.. nikon coolpix P500 or simular  are good.. i have one for most photos and the zoom is all built in..  has good 36x optical zoom does for most things and is easy point and shoot camera...for more upclose or better quality pictures i have a sumsung NX5 with different lenses to attach.. great but can be bulkly if wanting to take out.

@lorea.. super pics.. that catapillar is beautiful.

@hollie-hock love the bees..my cats used to bring slow worms in for me.. bless em!

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Today I looked out my back window and saw mother and daughter blackbirds (possibly the one that fledged from our garden a few weeks back) having a very nice meal of worms straight out of my patio trough. I must have been not two paces from them and had to keep very still, hence no rushing for the camera but just enjoying the moment.image

P.S they pulled out a few cuttings and destroyed a few seedlings that I was growing on butimage Meh. It was only a few.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

@daintiness - a technique which I find quite useful is to 'crop' pictures after they have been taken.

If you take a photo and the animal or insect looks very small in the photo, then the photo can be 'cropped'. This means cutting off a border all around the animal, so that the animal fills the picture. To do this the image needs to be sharp. Taking several photos is a good idea, then you can choose the sharpest.

You can easily crop photos in Windows Photo Gallery. When viewing any image in Windows simply click Fix, which is along the top toolbar, and then Crop.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

I like to walk round my garden first thing in the morning, to rehome any slugs. These pics were all taken around 6am this morning...

These are some beauties crawling up the greenhouse window...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/slugs-greenhouse.jpg

I pick off all that I can find, using gloves...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/rehoming.jpg

And then introduce them to their new home on top of the compost pile...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/slugs-rehomed.jpg

• brilliat slug pics, I love em

• CettiCetti Posts: 22

If you're finding swallowtail caterpillars and praying mantis babies in your garden Lorea, then I assume you're not in the rain-sodden UK like the rest of us!