Forum home Plants

Plant Id please

Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Last year I got one of those 'lots of perennials' collections from a mail order plants supplier, and shoved what I got where I could find a spot.  And sometimes I buy things and bury them, and old mother Dementia casts a veil over the memory.  I wonder if any of you good people could possibly remind me of what it was that I planted here, as this has popped up, and I haven't a Scooby Doo.  Many thanks in advance.  Bee x

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Thought a picture might help......  Old mother Dementia again image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,043

Lol Busy, I need a picture image

Oops , you snuck back in, could it be a Hosta

I don't think it is a hosta.. Got some of them free, and put them in pots - can't remember sticking any in the beds, but maybe I did..?  This looks a bit different from the others though, which are sort of unfurling like cigars coming apart. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Is there a flower bud in the middle, it looks like an allium.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

Did you have any alliums? There's one that unfolds just like that

Could be an allium - I like alliums - just trying to remember if I planted any extras last autumn.  At the moment, the middle is full of water - I will have a look tomorrow.  Fidget and Nutcutlet I think you are probably right.  An awful lot of new tulips have popped up this year - I think I must have been planting on auto-pilot last autumn.  It's quite exciting really - who says it's boring getting old!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I think it may be an allium; had some like that but they seem to have vanished; they are not tall and the flower head is about the size of a tennis ball.image

I can't remember what that one's called

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=99

I knew it began with K and google helpedimage

Nut that is spot on - the leaves are exactly the same with that pinkish tip, but I don't remember the name, and I don't think I would have planted these in the place I did, as something so short would make no impact.  Were they in one of those special offers from the magazine I wonder?  I think you are more likely to find yourself with a plant you don't know if it were a free offer or gift than if you spent money on it!!  At least that's my excuse.  I bought a load of cheap plants from Morrisons last week in a frenzy of excitement, and two have lost their labels, and I've not idea what they are.  Doesn't bode well - I'm not even fifty yet....image