Honey berry?

Can anyone tell me what honeyberries are please? I recently bought a plant that says; " It is like a blueberry but sweeter" on the wrapper

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=728

I didn't know but google found plenty of references. Odd looking thingsimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

I have a few of those in fairly large pots and the two year old ones have just about finished flowering so hoping for the first fruit from them later in the year - if so, I'll report back in a few weeks!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks to you both. I googled them

But they look nothing like the picture

on the sleeve of the plant which looks

more like a black currant

Ah, give me a minuteimage

I can't find it but there was a thread a while back about a fruit that was from one of the yellow flowered ribes. A cultivar or a hybrid or something that had larger fruit.

Do the leaves look like a currant (ish)

Have you got a photo?

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 751

The only Honeyberry I've heard of is Lonicera caerulea I've got four, they're not self-fertile so you need two. Don't know what else it can be and that is how Honeyberries are usually described. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569

Hi Herby try this for help from RHS http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=728   Honey berry are good for people who struggle with blueberries, you need more than one for good fruiting, it is in fact an edible Honeysuckle, being a new type of plant in this country there's not too much known as they come from the Siberian areas, my local G/C assures me this is the most popular fruit seller plant of the year good luck

• All interesting thank you so much

The plant has now been taken to the allotment

but I will ask my son to take a picture.

All I could find was that it is an 'edible type of honeysuckle '
  • Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 751
    herbgarden2 wrote (see)

All I could find was that it is an 'edible type of honeysuckle '

Then it's Lonicera caerulea.  Like apples, plums, tomatoes, etc. what variety you have, if you even have a named variety will determine how it tastes and how big the fruit are, but you will need a pollinating partner just with most apples.