Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,341

The ones that HH has been caring for are likely to be from a late litter, able to fend for themselves but without having put on enough bodyweight to hibernate successfully through the winter.

I've just been out in the garden watching our regular Hefty Hedgehog and one of his/her friends - noisily huffing and puffing around each other in our Little Wilderness.  Lovely to see them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,941

I've never been out to see the one that lives in my garden... maybe I should... 

Our sometimes keep us awake at night, snuffling around and pushing their dish of food around on the terrace. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

image I've felt like rummaging round in the log pile and shaking mine awake in the daytime sometimes, amount of slugs there are in the garden...

Although they do eat a few slugs, they're not terribly good for them as they can harbour lungworms - they love crunching vineweevils tho image

Yes, that's what Hartleyhare said...

Don't think I have any vine weevils image though, touch wood. Plenty of cut worms though, if it likes them.

The song thrush isn't exactly busting a gut with regards the snail population either but you get what you pay for I suppose image

Hefty hedgehog is on the terrace right now,  having a drink from the small bowl of fresh rainwater that we keep topped up for the hedgehogs image

Just popped out again for a peep - he's snuffling around all the pots ont he terrace looking for beetles and snails - Go Hefty!!! image

imageimageimage

Dove, when I saw your first post I grabbed my torch and headed up the garden and I've just seen it for the first time- at its bowl which I recently moved under the arbour.

I thought it would ball up, but I stayed a few metres away and only for a few seconds and it stayed where it was.

Ha! There's no way I can not leave it food every night now, obviously it heads straight to its plate.

That was ace- just hope I haven't disturbed it too much...

Aren't they just gorgeous image