Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedgehog

• Victoria Sponge wrote (see)

Yes, I'd like to see a picture please.

Why does the tunnel need to have a bend in it?

I might have to have a think about this if I'm going to make one, what with the hard standing etc as I've dug up all my garden for flowerbeds and don't even have a proper path. I could put it under my arbour. I might be able to disguise it under there too by extending the log pile.

When you say line the box, do you mean the inside plastic sides? 

Alternatively, I have a hedgehog house that it doesn't live in image. I was hoping a toad or some bees might move in, but could I use that instead of a storage box?

And yes, my pond has sloping beach pebble sides. image

You can put the tunnel and box directly onto the ground if you don't have any patio slabs or concrete. The tunnel needs a bend in it to prevent cats getting in. I've taken a few pics of mine but I can't find the lead to download to pc, so will have to wait til hubby gets home later on. Both my feeders are sat on patio slabs that are placed on grass. You just need to line the bottom of the box with paper. I don't think a hog house would be large enough for a feeding station but it depends on the size of the house. My plastic boxes are large enough to accomodate 2 hogs feeding from 2 bowls side by side.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,179

Oh, I get you nowimage  so it's a storage box with a lid and the hogs go into the box. I was thinking an upside down tub...

I don't think I will use my hedgehog house anyway, I just uncovered it and it's a snaily creepy crawly mess and I don't like the idea of tinkering with that every evening in my Jim jams.  The storage box with lid sounds nicer image

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated!

Vic

Oh, I get you nowimage  so it's a storage box with a lid and the hogs go into the box. I was thinking an upside down tub...

I don't think I will use my hedgehog house anyway, I just uncovered it and it's a snaily creepy crawly mess and I don't like the idea of tinkering with that every evening in my Jim jams.  The storage box with lid sounds nicer image

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated!

Vic

You are quite welcome image Any other questions please feel free to ask. I'm far from an expert, just a beginner in fact, but I might be able to help. The plastic boxes are easier to clean and they have the added benefit you can see the hogs inside scoffing image. Hubby doesn't know where lead has gone, so will have a hunt for it tomorrow. The pics will clarify exactly what I'm talking about.

• shirlsgwshirlsgw Posts: 30

Hi everyone, delighted to hear you’ve all seen hedgehogs visiting your garden image

Pinkypoo and Victoria Sponge, after watching hogs in my garden over the last 7 yrs I agree with all Hartleyhare has said – some good info there especially on not putting out bread or milk. I agree with others saying they can visit regularly and then not appear for a spell.

I have blogged hedgehog visits with my observations, photos and video over the last few years. If anyone is interested in a lot more hedgehog chat there’s some at http://blog.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk/2008/08/hedgehog-visits-and-links.html. Although I can see now I have some major updating to do on links and info here. You’ll see details of my very first basic feeding station using an upturned box at http://blog.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk/2007/08/hedgehog-still-visiting-garden.html .

My present feeding station is a hard plastic (no longer required) single floor, rabbit/guinea pig hutch integrated into a garden border (seen 5th photo down http://blog.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk/2013/02/end-of-month-view-feb13.html). It has an IR cam and I enjoy watch hogs feed in there at night (some images here http://blog.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk/2013/04/hedgehogs-visiting-garden-again.html.  

• What a lovely garden you have image Would you like to come and do mine - haha! I couldn't quite make out the feeding station, is it under the tree to the right of the picture?

I've tried various things for making feeding stations, I was going to try using an old bedside cabinet with a few adaptations and weatherproofing but then I found out about the plastic boxes. I can see how a plastic or wooden hutch would work, especially with a tunnel added. I tried the upturned box and also bricks with a tile on top, but I found the cats could get the food.

My 2 boys are being released tonight image Wish them luck on their adventures in the big wild world. I am happy to see them go but I cannot help worry about them when they go. Hogs face so many dangers, a lot of it of mankinds making, I just want them to stay safe and  healthy and live long happy lives. And make lots of baby hoggies image 

Hi Shirlsgw,

I've looked through your site; very interesting image Also I followed the link to the british hedgehog preservation society which was worth reading. It'll soon be hedgehog awareness week! Also useful numbers if I find a pig in distress.

A few years ago I found a hedgehog in the daylight not really doing much and I rang the RSPCA emergency helpline who told me to give it some cat food and leave it. Well the next day it was still there in a ball and I ended up finding a hedgehog hospital but it died on the way. If I'd ignored the RSPCA the hog lady might have been able to help it in time.

I was especially cross because I'd rang them previously about a red squirrel I'd found injured and they insisted it was just a grey with red markings like that was the important thing I was calling about. I ended up taking that to the vets and they eventually put it down, but they ran out to catch me in the car park wanting info on where I'd found it since it was a red after all.

Oh, I wasn't able to watch your videos on my iPad but the music was entertaining image

Hartleyhare, do you actually rescue hedgehogs then? Are you the hedgehog lady? image

Vic

• shirlsgwshirlsgw Posts: 30

Hi again image

Hartleyhare, thanks for your kind comment. Over the weekend I'll look through my many photos to illustrate better what my feeding station looks like and what I did. I like the fact that it is hidden in my garden. I'll put a blog together showing as many images as I can. Delighted to hear you have hogs strong enough to be released but I fully understand your concern 0 I would feel the same.

Vic, delighted that there were links of interest to you. My blog takes up a lot of time, so sometimes bits don't get update as much as I would like. This thread has prompted me to sort the hedgehog tales soon. Sorry to hear about your RSPCA experience - that's not good at all. I've called the SSPCA a few times and they have been brilliant about the hedgehogs. The staff at the end of the phone have been as helpful as the ones who came out to my garden. Ah... some of this videos are old ones so maybe the format doesn't read well on your ipad. I had great fun picking music for the clips image

• Here are a couple of pics of one of my feeding stations. You can add extra bends in the tunnel if so desired.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx299/flavrat/box1-1.jpg

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx299/flavrat/box2.jpg

Hartleyhare, do you actually rescue hedgehogs then? Are you the hedgehog lady? image

Vic

I am not a rescue, I don't have enough experience for that, but I do what I can where I can. I found 2 baby hedgeghogs and have successfully handreared them. I have also taken in the autumn juveniles I have found in my garden and overwintered them. Truthfully I never intended to have hedgehogs and if I had not found Jaye Jaye ( my first baby ) then I  probably wouldn't be where I'm at today. I also did not know how stressful caring for them can be, especially when they are sick. Considering that hedgeohgs live quite simple lives they are very complex little creatures to care for. I had 8 hogs overwintering last year ( 2012/13 ). I was not prepared for all that, JJ and Poppy ( who came form a local rescue up here ) were more than enough for me to cope with. I had nowhere to put all the extra hogs, so they ended up in our new bedroom. We had the garage converted, had lovely bespoke furniture and a bespoke bed made but we couldn't use it as it was full of hogs! Hubby and I slept in the caravan all winter.image This winter I've had 5 juveniles. The 2 boys have been released ( 2 nights ago ) and I've got the 3 girls left to go.

What do you think happened to the parents/mother?