Forum home Garden design

My new garden...suggestions appreciated.

• SessiSessi Posts: 19

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. This photo doesn't do the size of the tree any justice. It actually sits approx 15ft above the building, the trunk is approx a metre across and several roots spill out all over the garden creating fabby little trip hazards. The position of it in the garden is also quite awkward, although Edd I LOVE the tree house.....so.....I may just have to go out into the garden and do some  measuring and see if I can  incorporate something like this into a garden and still keep my idea of a patio and borders. Getting all excited now!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 81,295

What a fabulous project - I'm getting all excited too!!!  Keep us informed - with pictures image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,840

Brilliant Sessi image

I think I'd be concerned about trying to remove the roots anyway. They'll be huge. Keeping some of it and turning it into a sculpture is a great idea - and what a talking point!

You'll not need much extra planting - everyone will be captivated by your Hobbit house/sculpture!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

So above is my rather large, beautiful tree in my rather small garden. The tree surgeons are coming in a couple of weeks, but now I'm wondering if they should....not because I love the tree - it has to go, but could anyone tell me the likelihood of any birds nesting in there? I hear birds all the time, but haven't seen any activity and the gardens at the back of these flats are not with brimming with life for them to feed on. I have to say most are slabbed over,  although there is a park at the end of the street and a canal around the corner. For the wildlife enthusiasts amongst us would you wait until later in the season to chop it down or just get on with it? Thanks.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You won't find any bird nesting in that Sessi, it's the wrong environment for them, they'll sing from the branches and feed on any insects there are, but not a nesting site. So get it down. Ask the tree surgeons for some logs from it for a wildlife wood pile. And if they will maybe some disks cut from the trunk for some wood stepping stones. If you don't use them add them to the wildlife wood pile. Them comes the good part!

Thanks Dave Morgan - thought as much, but needed to be sure. The stepping stones sound like a fabulous idea!!!

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,019

Could you cut the trunk down to the right height and use it as a 'pedastal base' for a table, and get some sort of 'table top' 

Am going for a hobbit house star gaze lily. I want to make the little space I've got rather magical...I'll have the local kids thinking I have fairies at the bottom of the garden at this rate...

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,019

Ooops sorry, hi Sessi, pleased to meat you.  image