Forum home Problem solving

Inherited Rose Bush

Hi. I have recently moved into a new property, and as a result I've inherited a rose bush in our south facing front garden. With the spring it's growing really prolifically and I don't know what to do because it seems to be taking over. Has anyone got any advice and tips on pruning it seems s strange thing to do in the spring.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,379

Welcome Tom image

Can you show us a pic of your rose bush?  

To post a photo click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• http://postimg.org/image/ve5v4x7yh/

I've just uploaded an image, please use the link.
  • Thanks for your speedy reply too ! image
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 16,332

Sorry nothing comes up.

It could have done with pruning earlier, but if you do it now you'll lose the blooms, which would be a shame.  

What I would do is, after the first flush of flowers, instead of simply dead-heading I'd cut the stem back by about one-third, to a strong shoot, and top-dress the soil around with some Fish, Blood & Bone.

Next spring - for me usually mid Feb, depending on the weather and where you are, you can prune hard and rejuvenate the bushes. 

For the future, there's a big advantage in uploading photos via the green tree icon, as we can click on the picture and enlarge it, so getting a much better look at what might be the problem. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you. That's very helpful. They are covered in green fly at the moment, bit of a pain in the backside to be truthful !

Brush the greenfly off gently between your fingers (use rubber gloves if you wish) - much the easiest way and leaves enough to feed the ladybirds and bluetits. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,374

http://postimg.org/image/ve5v4x7yh/

That's for lily. I can get the pic but know nothing about rosesimage