Raspberries in a greenhouse?

I have raspberry canes growing in a large pot in my garden. I have just installed a greenhouse and wondered if raspberries can be grown inside. I thought that maybe this would give some protection against birds etc.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,356

Hi Staceyj image

I think it'd be too warm for them in a greenhouse - raspberries do best in cooler moister areas, which is why they do well in Scotland. 

What about visiting a second hand or charity shop and buying some old net curtains - when the fruits have formed and before they ripen, drape the curtains over like a wedding veil - that'll keep those pesky blackbirds off image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

a fruit cage needs to be tight otherwise it's just a death trap and you'll end up cutting out dead birds. Not a nice thing to have to do. I don't net my fruit and get more than enough for myself. Cherries being the exception. Not had one.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,356

That's why I said net curtains - not net - birds don't get caught in net curtains just draped over the canes - after the fruits are formed and before they're ripe. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

A lot of commercial raspberries are grown in polytunnels but I think they would be a waste  of space in a greenhouse when they grow well outside.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

That's why I said net curtains - not net - birds don't get caught in net curtains just draped over the canes - after the fruits are formed and before they're ripe. 

This one did. 

https://elysianhunter.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/dude-wedding-dress.jpg

• StaceyjStaceyj Posts: 36

Thanks for the advice. I will leave them outside and net them. Great pic by the way Macd!!!