Forum home Plants

Dwarf tree year round interest?

NibblerNibbler Posts: 1

Hi there,

My partner and I are moving into a new home with a small north-facing garden to the front - just a hankerchief of lawn off the pavement with paving slabs down the side for access to front door. We have a south facing back garden for a 'proper' garden, but I think it would be nice to have a little tree out front so I have something to look at when washing up! Year round interest would be nice, and I don't want anything to high maintenance as I'm not very experienced, and it must be dwarf so as not to irk the neighbours or obscure the light. I was thinking about a crab apple. We have chalky soil there I think.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

P.S. I will probably try to grow some pretty scented and or berried plants under the kitchen window like jasmine / honeysuckle etc, and have some pots for spring bulbs or lavender

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,874

What about  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3345615/Winter-beauty-Prunus-x-subhirtella-Autumnalis.html - beautiful pale pink blossom on bare branches whenever there's a few days milder weather in the winter and early spring.  

It doesn't do much in the summer, but as the article suggests, as the foliage is light you could grow a small clematis up it for summer colour, then the leaves colour beautifully with soft yellows and rosy pinks during the autumn.

I know it says it can grow big, but I know one growing in really good conditions which is over 20 years old and isn't any more than 8ft tall.  

It's such a pretty and elegant little tree, and how wonderful to see blossom in midwinter when you're doing the washing up image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• would it be possible to put it in a large container, like a whisky barrel and almost Bonsai it?