Forum home Plants

Dwarf tree year round interest?

NibblerNibbler Posts: 1

Hi there,

My partner and I are moving into a new home with a small north-facing garden to the front - just a hankerchief of lawn off the pavement with paving slabs down the side for access to front door. We have a south facing back garden for a 'proper' garden, but I think it would be nice to have a little tree out front so I have something to look at when washing up! Year round interest would be nice, and I don't want anything to high maintenance as I'm not very experienced, and it must be dwarf so as not to irk the neighbours or obscure the light. I was thinking about a crab apple. We have chalky soil there I think.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

P.S. I will probably try to grow some pretty scented and or berried plants under the kitchen window like jasmine / honeysuckle etc, and have some pots for spring bulbs or lavender

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,076

What about  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/3345615/Winter-beauty-Prunus-x-subhirtella-Autumnalis.html - beautiful pale pink blossom on bare branches whenever there's a few days milder weather in the winter and early spring.  

It doesn't do much in the summer, but as the article suggests, as the foliage is light you could grow a small clematis up it for summer colour, then the leaves colour beautifully with soft yellows and rosy pinks during the autumn.

I know it says it can grow big, but I know one growing in really good conditions which is over 20 years old and isn't any more than 8ft tall.  

It's such a pretty and elegant little tree, and how wonderful to see blossom in midwinter when you're doing the washing up image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• would it be possible to put it in a large container, like a whisky barrel and almost Bonsai it?