Forum home The potting shed

Lobelia

How long dose it take for lobelia to germinate I put them in about 10 days ago In a heated propagator in doors . Yesterday there was no sign do went out and brought some plants today I have noticed that there are very very tiny seedlings coming through not shaw if they are meant to be this small ? They are cascading colour mix . They are from 99p shop as this is my first year and am trying to do it cheap incase they don't work . Thanks for the help

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 977

Yes, they are very tiny. That's why when you buy a tray of lobelia each section has many plants in it not one per section like a pelagonium for example.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,734

They are also rather slow to develop - I sowed two types (Blue Cascade and Crystal Palace) in a heated propagator in early March and transplanted small bunches of them into 7cm pots a couple of weeks ago:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,491

They do take a long time to grow, i sow in modules with a pinch of seed in each one, no need to prick out then.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I have grown some too Sarah, they did take a while to germinate and I have planted them on in the full sections from the seed tray as they have grown.

• SweetPea93SweetPea93 Posts: 446

The OH planted some, the ones that did germinate in the greenhouse, there wasn't an awful lot, half died, all of the blue are dead, and he's just lost half of his purple, they've almost been as much trouble as the peppers!