Forum home The potting shed

Westland Gro-Sure Tomato Planter

My local garden centre has these on offer at £2.99 each, however I don't want to grow tomatoes.  Are they any good for general purpose compost, or do they have lots of lumps etc in them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,857

I've not used them so cannot give a view, but this will bring your query to the front page again where perhaps someone who has used them will see it image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,776

Normally tomato growbags - I'm assuming that's what these are - are excellent for using as general compost. I sometimes buy them at the end of the summer when they're on offer, though not the one you've mentioned, for topping up beds etc.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I use tomato feed for all my plants, especially fuchsias and geraniums.  Westland is a very good name, I only ever use their lawn feed/weed/moss killer, so at 2.99 i would buy a dozen.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks all, I will go and raid the garden centre tomorrow! (not literally image)

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

They a re certainly cheaper than a bag of compost,  get some for me while you are there please, use ful for raised beds too.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Wickes are selling them for £3.99. looks good value to me for 65L of compost.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Gro-Sure-Tomato-Planter/p/117798