Forum home The potting shed

Westland Gro-Sure Tomato Planter

My local garden centre has these on offer at £2.99 each, however I don't want to grow tomatoes.  Are they any good for general purpose compost, or do they have lots of lumps etc in them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,928

I've not used them so cannot give a view, but this will bring your query to the front page again where perhaps someone who has used them will see it image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,284

Normally tomato growbags - I'm assuming that's what these are - are excellent for using as general compost. I sometimes buy them at the end of the summer when they're on offer, though not the one you've mentioned, for topping up beds etc.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,495

I use tomato feed for all my plants, especially fuchsias and geraniums.  Westland is a very good name, I only ever use their lawn feed/weed/moss killer, so at 2.99 i would buy a dozen.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Thanks all, I will go and raid the garden centre tomorrow! (not literally image)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,495

They a re certainly cheaper than a bag of compost,  get some for me while you are there please, use ful for raised beds too.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GardenGrower11GardenGrower11 EnglandPosts: 304

Wickes are selling them for £3.99. looks good value to me for 65L of compost.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Gro-Sure-Tomato-Planter/p/117798