Forum home Plants

What tree to plant

Hi all, 

I,m looking for ideas of what type of tree to plant in my garden. I have quite a large garden and I'm looking to plant a tree in the top corner. I want to make it a focal point, leading the eye up the garden I also want it to give a bit of privacy from the neighbouring houses. I love the silver birches but did see , what I now know to be, a lovely flowering cherry with fantastic coloured bark. So I just wondered if you lovely people could give me the benefit of your experience and maybe suggest something I hadn,t even thought of.

Thanks in advance

Sara x

PS apologies for any typos in this message hard to type when an advertising banner won,t go a way and blocks your screen and No I Don't Want A Raised Bed !!!

• There's lots of choice so take your time deciding what to go for - its going to be in the garden for many years. I would say that the best time to plant new trees is between autumn and late winter or very early spring, when the tree is still dormant. If you do it then your tree should establish better.

I won't bombard you with lots of suggestions - I'll offer one and let others suggest more:

Cercis Siliquastrum (The Judas tree). Lovely pink flowers in spring and stunning autumn tints. Grows slowly to 3x3m (20x20ft).

• Thanks Scott, have had a look at pics of this tree, it's beautiful. There is actually one shown on the internet where I live would you believe so we are going to go have an actual look.

Thanks again 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058

Hi Sara - the crab apples (Malus) are also lovely - loads of choices and easy to obtain. I also like Whitebeam - Sorbus aria. It has silvery grey foliage and makes a lovely shape. 

PS - if you download one of the free ad blockers on your computer it stops all the ads - best thing I ever did!image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....