Emptying a compost bin

124»

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Mandicore; I am not a techy so cannot help with 'html'image.

Have a look at compost turners; the 2 I've seen are either auger in shape or arrow. I have an arrow one but I am pretty strong in my arms (years of being up a ladder/scaffold tower and painting with my arms up in the air!) depending on how your strength is working you may prefer the auger.image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Some great composters out there by the sound of it.

I'm frustrated at the garden where I work as I don't have time to set up a proper row of three heaps - just two at the moment and they're not adjacent.  And my "helpers" tend to add dock roots, Coke cans and plastic bags, none of which help much image

This little rant was precipitated by my starting to turn the heap today and finding a load of rubbish in there.  But the bottom half (it's been there since last summer) contains some usable stuff, some of which has already gone onto the sweetcorn/squash bed, so it's not all bad news!

Oh for a hot heap!

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Steve, I am just contemplating a 3rd binimage

May I suggest that you do a sign with images of plastic bags and tins, with big red crosses on them and images of plant material, t-bags, cardboard etc with a big green tick on them? You could make it amusing too, (images of sofas/ legs of lamb/ cars)...so that your 'helpers' get the pictureimage It could be done on cardboard and then laminated.

• MandicoreMandicore Posts: 13

Those signs are a GOOD idea.

And yes, I'll look at compost turners. This week I'm looking at the Green Deal which is enough shopping around for me for a few days! but now I know what I'm thinking of re the composting - thank you image