Emptying a compost bin

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Orchid L, 'Wriggle your compost' sounds like a good songimage

Lyn, a lot of Christmas paper I believe has a high plastic content and therefore will not rot; also I don't know about the toxicity of the inks; I know newspapers are ok these days.image

iGrow, you are wonderfully organised and I bet your compost is fabimage

Orchid L., I would follow any instructions on the weeding label about how soon to add cuttings to compost, I thought it was 2 or 3 cuts later, and you would want to rake up any cuttings in the meantime.image

• I grow some comfrey in a pot on my allotment and every now and then throw some of the leaves into my primary bin  to help accelerate decomposition. I use two wooden bins and empty the contents into bin 2 at the end of winter and I think the comfrey def seems to speed things up.

Madeleine51, I have heard that both comfrey and nettles are really good accelerators.image I use a shovel of horse manure from time to time.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,565

I'm very lucky to have the space and I've just built 3 "bays" 8ftx 4ft x 4ft high. As has been said, fill one, turn it into bay 2 , fill 1 again, chuck 2 into 3 , 1 into 2 and start again. by the time 1 is full, 3 has been emptied.

Devon.

Hostaimage I am always soooo pleased to hear about people compostingimage

• Chris BChris B Posts: 8

My compost bin is a meter square, wood, homemade and fairly new. I add Comfrey leaves but not too many nettles. I leave those for the butterflies.

Chris, do you only have one? You may find it easier with 2; one to fill and one to 'cook'.image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,565

Artkaj,I compost everything. In parts of our garden we have 6" of heavy clay soil over solid rock. I need all the compost I can make.

Devon.

Hosta, what part of the country are you in to have such a thin layer of soil? Are you half way up a mountain? image I often plant things at the edge of the drive, and that is solid clay; I always know I'm in for several hours work with a crow barimage