Forum home Plants

Morning Glory

My morning glory seedlings are 6 - 8 inches high. Should I pinch out the growing tips or not?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

I've never pinched out Morning Glory - they've always made good plants and flowered well for me. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 479

I agree with Dove, I never pinch mine out either and mine are also about 6 inches high. They always grow well.image

• Thanks, I will leave them alone then!image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,300

Just to add.... I grew these last year and i did pinch them out - i had sowed too early and they were getting in a right tangle inside, and i knew i shouldn't plant them outside til June.  It didn't do them any harm and they flowered well for meimage

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Just out of curiosity where about in the country are you as mine did very poorly but I live in the northeast

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,300

I am in surrey - and last year was exceptionally hot, so they seemed to like itimage

• They are poor for me outdoors, so I grow them in a porch conservatory, and after many years I now pinch them out to try to keep them as bushy as poss.

• We are in East Anglia. Have decided to experiment, will pinch out half and leave other half - so we will see!

• I grew last year, flowered well even though partially in the shade.The plant has come through the winter and I have left it to see how it will perform this year.

After the rain we are expecting tomorrow I will report on snails around the hostas, as I have applied spent coffee grouts around the crowns .Coffee grouts are not approved by the EU!

• I agree I had some last year and never pinched them out. Not sown any this year but starting to regret that decision, however I have plenty of other plants to keep me busy lol