Forum home Talkback

pruning shrubs for growth

BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226

On gardeners world a few weeks back i saw Monty pruning back the 'wrong' side of a shrub to encourage growth.

I have just removed a large hedge and exposed what was the back of a forsythia. Due to the previous hedge its all weedy on the 'new front and i want to get it to bush out. Do you think I should prune it back hard on the weedy side to encourage it to bush out?

The other side is all doing rather well. I also have the same issue with a laurel.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Forsythia and laurel can both be hard pruned, the forsythia after flowering. Both are vigourous growers. I'd hard prune both if suitable, it would probably give you a better shape, and then feed, they should grow away over the summer months. laurel can be pruned to ground level and grow 4-5 ft in a season.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Forsythia.  Cut out a third of the branches that have flowered, every year.

Growth follows the knife.  It will bush out fine.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

ooh great question, I've been trying to figure this out too.  I have a couple of leggy forsythia's at the front of my house, would like them to bush out more.  One of them only has one stem, should I cut that right down to try and make it bushier from the base ? 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Yes peanuts, the new growth will come from the bottom

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,572

I have a multi-stemmed laurel. Some of the branches were leaning over the road so we cut them right off, back to the ground. There is now a nice bushy plant on half the laurel. This winter we'll take the rest off and we'll be back to a bush.