Forum home Talkback

allotment

What should i do with my allotment?, I have never had an allotment and this is a first time thing. I have grown vegetables and home as well as fruit, is ith the same thing as home growing?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,799

This thread has lots of useful informatiion 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/allotment/281545.html 

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    I guess the only difference between home growing and an allotment is the distance traveled to water the plants.
  • hi, i have just got an allotment thi week as well. lots to do befroe i can think of gretting anything planted image 

hope all goes well for you, im sure youll be fine, and if things dont go to plan the first go or secong go even thats what its all about learning and bettering it for the next year image 

enjoy

• hi again im just wondering my allotment has been not used for a long time and has lots of broadleaf weeds etc,

dose anyone know if there would be any reson why i could not dig it over and sprya them or dose anyone have a good way of getting rid of weeds at the start of use of an allotment ?

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    Some people go mad with the Roundup. I'm working on the premise that if it can't photosynthesise then it can't grow so there is lots of cardboard over my plot (horsetail and ground elder central).
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,799

Gavin image If you're going to use a spray (and that's what I would do) use one containing glyphosate which will kill the roots as well as the top growth.  Apply it as per in the instructions and then leave it until all the top growth is brown - that means that the glyphosate has travelled back to the roots and killed them too.  That will probably take 2-3 weeks.

Only then should you dig the ground over and remove the dead weeds.  Do not compost the weeds - I would burn them in a carefully controlled bonfire or an incinerator.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh