Forum home Garden design

Driveway ideas

Hi, I've got a 30ft driveway in my garden that's looking a bit worse for wear (crumbling in places). It seems to cost a lot to repair so I was thinking of just covering it in stones, is that a good/bad idea or is there something else I can do? Also I know you can get fence panels that don't need painting, I thought they were called natural or treated panels but can't seem to find any that aren't really expensive?

• Hi Mark. It's hard to comment without prior knowledge of the material currently on your driveway - perhaps you could post a photo? Generally, gravel, or any other covering for that matter will need to be laid over a substantial and compacted hardcore base. Gravel shouldn't be laid over an existing slabbed on concrete surface because it will just move and eventually create bare patches. Gravel for a driveway should be of a type specifically designed for that purpose and laid at about 2 to 5cm depth depending on the subsurface. It is not necessarily a cheap option!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,786

Added to the above, gravel on concrete or tarmac can be dangerous as it is very easy to slip on - my brother broke his ankle which needed pinning in two places when his foot slipped on a gravel drive.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,628

High  Mark,this type of stone /pebbles, was laid by the previous owner and is a nightmare,a couple of inches deep ,horrible to walk/drive on its from tiny stuff to one or one and a half inch pebbles , even on a slope it collects so much sludge and muck underneath it, so were removing it ASAP,it maybe ok for a drive away from the house but not close to it good luck.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,786

Alan - given your spinal op etc - for heaven's sake be careful on that gravel - my brother was a very fit man before his foot slipped on that gravel - it took him months and months to be able to walk again without pain!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarkyTMarkyT Posts: 4

thanks for the info, i wont put gravel on it then by the sounds!

I will attached a pic incase that helps with thinking what i can do with it. the drive way runs all the way up my fence until the gates. you might be able to see that the edges of the drive are crumbling (photo isnt fantastic but the only one i could find on here!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 33,989

Mark - sorry if I sound thick, but do you need all the driveway? If not, how about removing a good bit of it and replacing with something nicer and more useful. You could extend your grass across and have a nice border or trees for instance, especially as you seem to have a nice outlook there which you could 'borrow'. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

i was thinking of doing that Fairygirl, i was going to take out the end part of the drive (where the table and chairs are and create a nice flat paved area with brick bbq, fit pit and potted plants. I think that will be quite expensive though?

That would still leave alot of the drive left which is good as i still want to keep part of it but then i still have the question of how to make it look nice as its crumbling

here is my idea but im not too sure if its the best use of space - means the garden is less maintenance and all new (top drawing is my current setup and bottom is what i was thinking of) sorry im not the best at drawing :-/