Forum home Wildlife gardening

Belfast sinks

2»

• Right the world is your lobster with belfast sinks i often come across them  i have four in m garden  which three are in my meadow area in which i grow purple loosestrife ragged robin  meadow sweet and marsh mallow which loike a moister soil  the other houses valerian offinale  but i digress  do you want in in ground or above ? first off you must fill sink hole with cement  or a bung to stop leaking then i have used  a layer of black plastic and then gravel over top of it then add some plants in pots and a  oxygenator if you wish  . once filled the insects will come after several days once pond has settled dont forget if above ground to make sure frogs etc can get out a rock or small log should do the trick and sit back enjoy 

• Thanks for the picture Magical Meerkat image What plants did you put in ?

Picking my sinks up tomorrow, so quite excited about that. What are the best oxygenators to use? I am planning on siting both sinks above ground

I was thinking about the raised pond on the patio. We found a toad last year sat on a black bag that had a puddle of water formed in a indentation in the bag. Later on we found baby frogs. The raised pond is about 2ft hight and  about 18 inches deep, so I'm wondering if I should  ' create ' access and egress from it.. Do you think it would function as a wildlife pond with a few adaptations ? The pond is the same depth al over but I can create a shallower part by adding some blocks to make steps. Its just a thought. Or am I being to over ambitious and should stick with the sink idea to see how that pans out?

• I now have not 2 but 3 sinks image The guy we bouoght from had another, larger sink so I purchased that too.

The largest I want to use for the wildlife pond but I'm concerned about the siting of it. Having had a wander about in the  ' tamed ' parts of my gardens I think the only place I could really site it would be on the patio. Would this work ?

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Wow, well done HH, bargains image Looking forward to seeing the pics when you have them filled with whatever you decide.  Have you seen this month's mag, there is a pic of a sink on page 82/83 (I think), looks very pretty image

• Ooh I like the sound of the bigger sink for the pond Hartley.

I have one marginal plant (sorry no idea what it is, lost label long ago) and I think the oxygenator is Marsilea quadrifolia which is a native plant. Just read online that it says its a vigorous grower, but it hasn't taken over my tiny sink yet! I would recommend going to a good GC and buying a couple of native plants, and make sure one is an oxygenator.

I think it would be ok on the patio, mine is surrounded by gravel and concrete, but I would put some plants in pots around it for shelter etc. Make sure you also put some stones and logs inside and outside for wildlife to climb in and out! I have mine up on raised bricks so frogs can hide underneath if they wish.

Oh and make sure you seal the plug area with aquarium safe sealant to keep the water in and not to harm the wildlife. image

• Magical Meerkat wrote (see)

Ooh I like the sound of the bigger sink for the pond Hartley.

I have one marginal plant (sorry no idea what it is, lost label long ago) and I think the oxygenator is Marsilea quadrifolia which is a native plant. Just read online that it says its a vigorous grower, but it hasn't taken over my tiny sink yet! I would recommend going to a good GC and buying a couple of native plants, and make sure one is an oxygenator.

I think it would be ok on the patio, mine is surrounded by gravel and concrete, but I would put some plants in pots around it for shelter etc. Make sure you also put some stones and logs inside and outside for wildlife to climb in and out! I have mine up on raised bricks so frogs can hide underneath if they wish.

Oh and make sure you seal the plug area with aquarium safe sealant to keep the water in and not to harm the wildlife. image

Thanks for that image I'm excited about setting it up.

• I washed the sinks out yesterday and had a good look at them. There are a few large chips and a several small chips.Could someone tell me what is the best stuff to use to repair this please? I looked  online for bath enamel paint and the kits are very expensive, almost £70!

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

When I read up on repairing the chips some people mentioned using builder's caulk, however mine were only small chips so I have let them for character and just painted over them with enamel paint, a small tin I bought from B&Q that was only about £3.50. Hope this helps image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,481

Do they need repairing?  I would worry about using resins and glues etc because of any impact on wildlife.  I'd just regard them as part of the character of the pond - it's for wildlife after all, not the kitchenimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Do they need repairing?  I would worry about using resins and glues etc because of any impact on wildlife.  I'd just regard them as part of the character of the pond - it's for wildlife after all, not the kitchenimage

The smaller chips I'm not so bothered about - as you say they add character, but the larger chips are on the corners and I would like to touch them up

Orchid Lady wrote (see)

When I read up on repairing the chips some people mentioned using builder's caulk, however mine were only small chips so I have let them for character and just painted over them with enamel paint, a small tin I bought from B&Q that was only about £3.50. Hope this helps image

Is the paint waterproof? I looked at some radiator paint but it didn't say it was waterproof.

My mother had a hospital appointment today and afterwards we went to a garden centre for a coffee and scone ( yum ). Naturally I wandered outside to the plant section. Spent ages looking at possible candidates for the other 2 sinks. image The trouble with garden centres is that there is just too much choice and I can never make a clear decise choice. image