Forum home Talkback

raised veggie beds

i have put some raised veggie beds at the end of my garden. i have lugged 6 cubic metres of top soil in a wheel barrow from the front of my house to the veggie plot. 

i didnt have enough and 2 of the beds are half full only. any way sorry to waffle. i dont want spend any more money. i have acces to as much horse manure as i want its been composted for about 2 years, my question is if i use it i.e 50/50 mix with soil in 2 beds will it be too rich for root veg and if it is what would you experienced chaps recommend to grow in it?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Almost everything except carrots and parsnips will love it! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

Go for it. The manure will offer you so much - bulk for the soil, food for the plants, water retention, cheap etc etc - to me it is a win win situation.

• vjwukvjwuk East SussexPosts: 30

I did similar and found that I got masses of leafy growth, if I had the same issue again I would possibly use manure to bulk up one and do beans, chard type things and  put carrots radish etc in the half full one with lettuce.

Then top up the half full one in autumn and leave to settle over winter, the size of the radish leaves in the one I put manure were enormous for a teeny bulb.image  I assume my top soil was really good in nutrients before I chucked in manure

• Thanks Bob and Dainti' Really enjoyed doing a bit of veggie gardening for the first time last year, and more importantly my 12 yr old twins are really really keen. Anything to get them away from IT is a bonus and hence the extra beds this year. I have transformed an area about 75ft x 30ft - previously a dumping and bonfire area at the end of the garden for all the neighbours, All i need is a remedy for the aching muscles. After shifting all the soil from the very front of the house to the very back, i feel like i've been hit by a train the last day or so.

Thanks again

Steve K

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Nice one Steve!  My 'work' work is very technical with IT systems playing a larger and larger part as the years go by;  Gardening is my 'cure' for all of the technological madness and works brilliantly as an escape so I hope it does the same for your twins!  Vjwuk is right about growing leafy things in the first year - they will remove any excess Nitrogen that adding all of the manure may bring in.  I generally ache quite a lot at this time of the year but it's a superb way to keep fit - no gain without pain as they say! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks All, The Aches are much better today. Going to do a plan/planting scheme this evening. The 2 beds 1/2 full only, are in a slightly shaded area (direct sun until 10.30am and after 2pm) so i think the leafy stuff would be best there for that reason too (been reading up), so thanks vjwuk.

Was going to do some planting in the evenings this week, but ive had to scrape frost from my car the last 3 mornings, so going to wait a few days

Thanks Again 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

The manure will do wonders for soil structure/water retention/drainage/beasties as well as supplying nutrients.  And if you have spare ground, (why?!) cover it with a green manure as that will stop nutrients leaching out and provide even more organic matter.  Wish I could get some...

• Steve 309 - I'm quite lucky where i live, a nice small easy maneagable cottage with typical victorian long garden and probably more horses than cars passing through the village. The horsey set are often so very desperate to get rid of the waste. One near me was so desperate that he would deliver it in his horse box for a drink or 3.

If you got horsey people around or not too far away why not give them a call perhaps they'll drop some off for you.

I'm not tight, but i seriously enjoy a freebie. I was offered a 12x10 greenhouse just before christmas - already dismantled, i turned it down because, despite being FOC the cost of glass was mega, but it turned out the glass was also removed and neatly stacked. It was a nightmare to put up but has to be my type of bargain, i bought them 3 bottles of Gigondas and they were happy as Larry.  Thanks for the advice!!

Steve K

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I, too, am always on the lookout for freebies!  Sorry: reusables.  Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Before I re-read the end of your first paragraph I thought it said he delivered in in his horse...which might be a little too fresh!  Good idea though - I'll have to get on the blower.

• nice one Steve, it could be a bit fresh in more ways than one for sure if delivered that way. not sure id have the patience either.

im looking forward to a busy weekend. the missus and kids are away till monday.  lots of digging to do. i might put my

first earlies in. im sure the early morning frosts will have gone by the time they peep out

happy easter