Forum home Plants

Too cold for jasmine?

SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Hi,

new pergola noes erected. I'd like to grow Jasmine climbing up one of the posts but concerned that plant details seem to say not completely hardy and advise growing against wall.  

So wondering if I should stick to a rose/honeysuckle/clematis combo on the pergola and leave the jasmine on the short list for the wall space.

I'm norfolk so we do get cold here.  Although not much rain.

Ta, Noodle

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

What kind of jasmine are you talking about?  There are the conventional jasmines and the trachelospermum types (star jasmines), which nowadays lots of people call jasmines, which are the ones with the fabulous scent.  Originally these needed to be brought in during cold periods and were suitable mainly for pots, but nowadays you can get hardy versions, and even though mine 'died' in 2010 when the temperature got to minus 20 degrees, it grew again from the base and is doing pretty well now. 

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

It's the star ones I'm tempted by. Sounds like there might be one suitable then.  

What online nurseries do people use?  I'm currently using crocus.

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I got ours from the local GC.  It was probably something like about £12.99 for a plant about a foot and a half high.  They do take a few years to establish before they start flowering much, and like I said, mine was on its third year, had just started to flower, and then got hit by the freak winter, in which it lost all its growth (but the roots survived to ride again!)   Ever since then, I have wrapped it in plastic every winter just in case, but it would not have been necessary given the milder winters.  You would need to check with the labels or staff which are the hardy ones, but in my experience, the hardy ones have shiny leaves - actually more attractive, and the tender ones have duller, lighter green leaves.  It is a favourite plant of mine and looks lovely all year round.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i have 2 officianale in s yorks 1 i shady part of garden-awfully leggy but higher up it flowers well, i gave both a fairly hard prune late feb early march and both have lots of lovely new buds on so if it's that type i'd say should be fine, supernoodle i've used crocus, only when they have offers, though wasn't impressed to receive ranunculus bulbs with no planting instructions, i know i got advice here but not the point, have used david austin a few times-remember my rose obsession- and very pleased with them, great advice over phone and good healthy plants, just ordered 3 more so hope they're as good!