Best companion plant for Strawberry's?

Hello once again,

I have just purchased a 12" easy fill hanging baskets online for £12.99 (set of 4), don't know if i shoul mention the website as I don't know if it's allowed here.

This is how they look.

http://imgs.leadthegoodlife.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/365x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/0/4000041_1.jpg

http://imgs.leadthegoodlife.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/365x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/300814_4_3.jpg

I'm thinking of planting Strawberry's in 1 or two of these and tomatoes in the others. 

I just wanted to know what is best planted next to Strawberry's? Or shall I just plant the whole lot with Strawberry's?

Thanks in advance.

Sam.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Can't help with companion planting in strawbs, but would be interested to see the answers, I have just planted strawberries in mine.

Love these baskets and it is ok to mention the website, if it is for the benefit of forum members and you aren't affiliated or benefit from it.  I've mentioned a few when I've got bargains, no one minds if it benefits us all image

I am planting marigolds with my toms though but you may know that already image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,470

Hi, give marigolds a go. They deter pests and also attract pollinating bees which will be essential for a good strawberry crop. Also, lettuce as tour baskets will be off the ground and away from slugs. You can also grow baby spring onions as the scent deters pests too.  Show us some photos when planted up. Would love to see how you get on. 

•  

Here's where I purchased it from http://www.leadthegoodlife.com/set-of-4-12-easy-fill-hanging-baskets.html

I've gone with Borage. I'll keep updated what happens. 

Just ordered seeds, just hope they will grow lol. 

Growing strawberry's from seeds too. Don't know if that was a good idea or not lol. We'll soon find out lol.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,498

I've grown strawberries from seed and it takes a long time - 2 years before first fruit, so if you want fruit this year, you need to buy potted strawberry plants (the larger the better.)  Bare root strawberry plants shouldn't be allowed to fruit until the second year.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Borage is very easy to grow so you should have not bother. image

Lettuce, that's a good idea Tootles, I have some spare seed so will go and sow some now in the basket image Thank you image

• I'll be buying a potted plant this year then lol. 

If I want to plant from seeds (for next year) where should I plant them? Pots in the greenhouse or planted directly into the soil outside?

Thanks.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,754

Oooh - marigolds - that's a good idea.... Calendula, presumably?  I've tried garlic this year in an attempt to keep the aphids off but this sounds better.

• Hello again,

Just got the hanging basket (Finally lol)

Wanted to ask another quick question, when is it best to move tomato plants outside. Basically when shall I put the individual plants into the hanging baskets? The tallest one is around 15cm and the smallest is around 10cm.

I would say after risk of frost, but may be wrong, and they will need hardening off first image