i don't need to sound silly but...

I am used to flower seedlings with their true leaves,not ornamental grass seedlings,so during germination when do I prick out?

Do these look ok to prick out?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,986

Plenty there cotty. You can prick those out now. I'm very lazy and never prick out grass down to singles. 

Which ones are those?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,460

I've sown grass seed some kind person sent me last year. I did it in plug trays and I will then grow on each plug into a pot. You could patch the seedlings out, ie a clump into each pot.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

I can't remember what grass it is off the top of my head. It does look like I have some work cut out tomorrow. I think I will put some in small pots,some in a clump in big pots and then dot some around the garden.

Cheers,I feel less silly now.

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

I think it's pheasant tail grass. So I imagine clumps here and there would look good?

I don't like thinning as I don't want to get rid of any plants.

I am new to ornamental grass so this year hopefully I will learn a lot.

That grows quite nicely in shade.  it will seed itself nicely, I let them grow for a few years and discard the older ones when they cease to look good.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

None of us likes thinning, cotty, but we have to steel ourselves!  Seed is cheap.  Space is usually at a premium.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,426

When I read the thread title I had visions of somebody planting a lawn one piece at a time.  Happy to discover I was wrongimage

image nice picture KT