Forum home Talkback

Onions from seed

Hi, I am growing onions from seed for the first time. I have grown them in plugs in the greenhouse, they are now like grass, what do I do next. Do I pot them on, and if so how deep, can' t find any info on this. HELP!!!!!????

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    I hardened mine off and planted them out on the lottie last weekend. I didn't go any deeper than the size of the module/plug. My first time from seed also.
  • I would remove weak growth so you are left with one plant in each module and wait until they are almost screaming to get out of the trays before potting on or moving to beds. image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

I leave mine in deep trays until they look almost like spring onions. This is probably a lot later than the show people, but I get good results. I still have onions from last years crop. They are currently in 4 inch deep fish boxes of compost in the polytunnel.

Question. I still have the 2 lb 12 oz onion from last year.Do I eat it or plant it for seed?

Its starting to grow roots in the garage, so it won't store much longer.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Right Mike it's time to get them in the ground.

• joannepjoannep Posts: 7

Hey that's great, thanks for all your advice. Jo