Forum home Plants

Plant ID please

foxglove5foxglove5 Posts: 20

Hi, does anyone know what this plant is? It has been in thww garden about 2 years but never flowered before!

• foxglove5foxglove5 Posts: 20

Oh, having problems uploading the picture, ill keep trying image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,258

Hi foxglove5 image

To upload a pic on here, click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and then follow the instructions 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

When I do that I get a page pop up where I have to select the file to upload ( which I have done) but when I click "upload" nothing happensimage maybe its my computer having a funny five mins???

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

Wait foxglove, it takes ages, especially if it's a large picture. I reduce mine in size before I upload them or I'd be asleep before they appear

Thanks for the help with getting my pic up Dave and nutcutlet! Im new to all this and should get the hang of it soon enough image

Hurrah!  It's one of the Chaenomoles japonicas  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3310260/How-to-grow-japonica.html 

a lovely shrub - it will have hard green fruits on in the autumn that can be used in a similar way to a culinary quince.  If you eat game, it's great with a pot-roasted pheasant. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Bonus - my husband loves game so he will be happy image 

It has grown like wild for the last few years, its up against a fence and I have to cut it back a huge ammount every year. I wonder why it has suddenly decided to flower?

It flowers on wood produced the previous year so maybe when you cut it back last year it was early enough for it to produce new shoots which have produced flowers image

Perhaps in other years you've cut it back in the late summer/autumn?