Forum home Talkback

Any suggestions for a small tree for a border?

Just removed all plants from an island bed to rid myself of bindweed and couch grass. Now starting to re-plan the border and I'd like a feature plant in the middle - ideally 8ft to 10ft tall in time but not with too much width as I like to grow perennials in the bed. Its next to my tiny pond but I don't mind collecting leaves if its deciduous. Would like some flowers or perhaps some attractive bark/foilage. Has anyone got any suggestions from their own garden or what works or what to avoid? Many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,194

Amelanchier lamarkii (snowy mespilus) would be a good one for that type of site MrsM. It will eventually get bigger than that but it's not difficult to keep in check and  it's light and airy so doesn't create deep shade. Small white flowers at this time of year and lovely autumn colour. It's often grown as a shrub - so multi stemmed - but you can remove lower branches and make it 'tree shaped'. If you're very worried about width - the Amanagowa cherry is a vertical spire. They do get tall though, but that's the case with most trees eventually! It won't cast too much shade though and you'll get blossom and some autumn colour. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

Halesia The Snowdrop tree, Magnolia Stellata, Acer Grisium or one of my favourites a weeping purple beech. The latter can get big but is slow growing.

• Many thanks for the suggestions. Off to the garden centre to have a look. They all sound lovely so I expect to return with more than one. Happy gardening.