Forum home Talkback

Steep Slope/Bank

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

We have a steep slope at the back of our garden (see photo).  At the start i tried to flatten it, lay down some fabric weed suppressor then planted several "big" plants and then bark over.  The bark was a mistake as the bank is far too steep.  But we are also suffering from weeds(i don't know what they are but they seem to be airborn, and end up rooting on the fabric or in the bark - photo 2)...needing regular weeding maybe a couple of times a month.

Should i just stop being lazy and keep weeding, or is there some plants you could recommend that would be great for covering this area.

Apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge.

Thanks,

Andrew

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

One idea is some hardy geraniums - other folks will come up with a mix of ideas.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..what a lovely border, just need some touching up and innovation.... the question is how much are you prepared to spend...? gardening isn't cheap if you want quick results....  hardy geranium's I would recommend but at 6 or 7 pounds for a single container plant, and you would need quite a few, you can see how much you could spend.... however they spread and cover the ground given time...

Geranium 'Cambridge'... Geranium macorrhizum  varieties.... lots of others... easy to propagate if you know what you're doing...   anything marked ground cover suitable for banks... Veronica 'Georgia Blue'... in flower now....

that fence and trellis looks wasted... would have to do something about that.. and a small tree to block out those two windows would be a must....  that border could be spectacular.... 

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

Personally I don't like that fabric stuff.  I have a similar steep bank ( although not as long as yours) and have bark on it fine, so I suspect it's the fabric thats making it slide.    Mine's recently planted and so lots of gaps too, but I'm not having much trouble keeping it clear of weeds- I get a few but a wiggle with the hoe does the job.

So, I'd remove the fabric and put the bark back directly on the soil.  Were there weeds underneath? If so, you'll have to get rid prior to barking. Or perhaps put up with it for a bit longer and hope the darkness under the fabric kills them off.

Geraniums are good call - they're my go to plant for ground cover! One of the helpers in my grounds elder battle....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,453

We had a similar slope - apart from other considerations we were concerned that it was unstable and that the neighbouring gardens might slide down into ours!  We fixed sleepers with reinforcing rods to secure the bank and filled with a load of topsoil and planted it as a raised bed - it only needs a few minutes going over with a hoe every few weeks to keep the weed seedlngs down  - I'll post a couple of photos to show you what I mean .... 

Sorry, the photos were taken to show other things rather than the sleepers, but hopefully you can get the idea image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh