Forum home Talkback

Beetroot

• Anything I sow in mod trays, I plant up the whole module, then see who is lookiing really well after a wk or so. rather than disturb any roots, I chop off the weaker spares at soil level, then the roots just rot down in the soil and feed the others. I always try not to disturb roots of any veg.

Perennials don't seem to give a bugger, so I'm quite hard on them. Some can be as bad as weeds!

• Have been told that tiny root of a beet root can go as deep as six feet into the soil.  Not terribly relevant when the discussion is about seeds, modules etc, but just the sort of esoteric gem I love.  Makes all the difference when my allotment produce is iffy.

• Oooh! Verdun, wish I had your snail!  I paint them with nail varnish to check on their doings.  I could put a cat bell on yours so I would know she didn't wander too far.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 80,410

The beetroot I sowed direct about 3 weeks ago are looking fine, although the rows are a bit muddled at one end as the fence was painted after the beetroot were sown, and think they got walked on a bit - still, we will have beetroot image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

The problem is Verdun, that I'm having problems distinguishing the seedlings from the ash tree seeds that have sprung up (as usual) all over the veg patch - it's not helped by the fact that my newest glasses broke the other day, and I've reverted to my previous pair imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I think I've got most of the ash seedlings weeded out Verdun - it was a bit of a hands and knees job rather than using the hoe as I usually would.   

• jad1jad1 Posts: 130

Thanks everyone for the trips. I hope i will have a better crop this year. Previous years

haven't been very good due to a cold summer and alot of rain.Just to mention i have sown the seeds into the ground.Hopefully starting in the greenhouse will be better.