Forum home Talkback

Beetroot

jad1jad1 Posts: 130

Its the first time i have sown in seed trays. How many seedlings to a cell? If more than two,do i need to thin out before planting into the ground.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,268

I would. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Two seeds to a cell, pick the strongest seedling take anymore out, leave one strong seedling to a cell, plant out when large enough.

• Kay8Kay8 Posts: 216

I agree with Verdun image

• As I've said several times before, each beetroot seed contains 3 or 4 potential seedlings, so best not to sow too many.

Exactly David K. Here's mine at the moment... the one at the front is only one seed... but three seedlings have appeared. So yeah, don't sow too many!! You'll have way too many beetroots to eat haha! These are rainbow beet by the way.

I only planted one seed per cell... you don't want like 6 seedlings coming up in one cell really.. .

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

I always start them of in trays when they are big enough pot them on so that there is three -four good sized ones per pot then up to the allotment feed with home made compost works every time for me and keep weed free plus water regularly