Raised beds

Hi all,

Im in the market for some raised beds. (Just not enough hours in the day to make my own.) I've got my eye on link a bord and everedge.  Had anyone got these, what do you think? Views own plastic v metal v wood? Any other recommendations? (Woodblox too expensive).

Ta

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

supern, it really is so fast to make your own; treated timber gravel boards fastened at the corners by screwing into some 2"x2"s that you have bashed into the ground. I use an electric jigsaw which is not a scary bit of gear at all.

I have always felt that pre-made ones are overpriced for what they are.

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 2,074

Fully endorse what artjak has to say. They are so easy to build, I have a couple on the allotment for growing our salad crops.

They're 6'x3'x12" and all in cost less than £20 and probably took an hour to construct.

The premade ones are way overpriced.

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 948

Yeah, I know. But we're so short of time ( working, young son who insists on full attention, refurbing a house) we have to prioritise what we work on and what we buy.  In the past we've bought extra days holiday from work but that was very silly as cost more than getting someone to do work.

Ill get a price on pressure treated wood from my local timber yard and consider.  It's not just the making, it's the going to order, the picking up, etc.  And it needs to look good as its part of a fairly formal garden.

saying that I know what I could made would look so much better.  I've considered buying basic wooden ones and adding finials and painting!

Oh dear.  Brain's gone into design mode.  Think I'll be building my own....

cheers guys.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,728

I'd agree with art and scroggin. Heavy duty fencing timber is very cheap and does the job brilliantly too. If you add a little edging on the top - like a coping - it'll look posher. Mitre the corners.  I'm going for more timber today to do that on mine as they're not for veg - they're for ornamentals. image

I'm supposed to be painting a room at my next time of work.  Hubby's not going to be happy when I make raised beds instead.....image Ho hum....

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,728

The room can wait - your garden can't Supernoodle...I'm sure hubby will understand that logic....image

Made mine out of old decking boards, less than an hour to put together...filling them however takes a bit longer

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,197

Its not me, but OH, who does the hard graft, but much better to build your own - can customise the size etc.  and it makes it all your garden - rather than something you can order.  

Its difficult juggling supernoodle (got the t-shirt) - but worth it 10 years down the road ...

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,665

Possibly not a lot of help at the moment SNoodle, but I got a Harrod one from Wyevale in Sprowston half-price in their autumn sale  - it was one of their 'superior' square ones and I think I paid around £19.99 - they frequently have some very good reductions (and if you've not been there, the cafeteria is good too!) image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !