Forum home Plants

what is attacking my echinacea plant

Hi, Having watched an episode of gw last year where they looked at the national collection of echinacea, i went out and bought two plants, they died down over winter and are now starting to come back up, however, something is shredding the leaves, i have put slug pellets down so its not slugs! Any ideas?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

Pah!  Putting slug pellets down doesn't mean that it can't be slugs .... they don't read the instructions image

If it isn't slugs it's snails image

Or it's both of them ............ they gang up on us you know image

Get some dry gritty sand and spread it thickly on the soil all around the plants for a radius  of about 6" - they won't cross that.  Then make sure there are no plants nearby that they can climb up and weigh down and use as a 'bridge' - they're very crafty!

Then the only way they can get to the plants is by tunnelling underground, so that narrows the culprits down to those little grey slugs image

Good luck - we're all in this together you know image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

Either Field Slugs or Garden Slugs - they're the troublemakers  http://www.slugoff.co.uk/slug-facts/bad-slugs 

We have big slugs - Arion Ater - I leave them alone 'cos they eat the little ones image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh