Lily of the Valley

Kay8Kay8 Posts: 207

I have searched the internet for an answer and have got nothing... I really hope someone can help. (I don't know why pics keep uploading sideways)... this lily of the valley keeps showing little tiny crystal like things in the soil. When I water, they disappear and then come back... I have not used any fertiliser on them or anything but I am wandering if the garden centre did before I bought them?

How should I care for this plant? Should I plant it outside or?

Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

I suspect the crystals are water retaining gel used by growers to conserve moisture in the pots.

Yes, plant the poor thing outside - it won't be at all happy indoors - it needs moist humus-rich soil in a fairly shady place - if you can get the conditions right it'll spread and you'll have a carpet of fragrant flowers in springs to come. image

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=522 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Dove, what kind of soil do they like; they grew like anything in my London garden on a baking hot rockery; here in the Fens, carefully planted in a moist shady area they just dieimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,759

Hi Artjak image

At my granny's garden when I was a child, they ran rampant on well-drained loam with a lot of leafmould in a north facing bed against the house where they got dripped on by inefficient guttering.

When we left our last place I'd just about got them going in well-drained city dirt with the addition of lots of compost, FYM, and leafmould, this time in a northfacing garden against a shed wall with a constantly dripping gutter.

I've not yet decided where to try them here - the guttering is too good.  

The constant factors seem to be leafmould and drips. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,250

I've never really got them established here. In my mother's garden they were rampant, very hard, dry, gravelly soil but in the shade.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,762

Oh good - I've got a leaky overflow...image

I meant the house...image

Plenty of drips living round here Dove, I just  need the leaf mould!  image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,269

I've got leaf mould, just need a drip! image

I find them quite hard to grow, but in my mums or nans garden they just went on and on image

• Kay8Kay8 Posts: 207

Right, I'll put it in the garden then... ha-ha! I read that they couldn't be put into the garden until after their first flower, but I think you're right... it's not doing well inside!!!

• I could never grow them at our last house but when we moved we discovered some growing in a small shaded area near the house wall and they're thriving, fingers crossed, and I leave them alone so hopefully that'll continue. image

• Kay8Kay8 Posts: 207

Hopefully, summerwine image. I'll pop mine outside this weekend, I might plant it in a shaded corner of the rockery?