Forum home Problem solving

Acer assistance - NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

• Amy  SmithAmy Smith Posts: 20

I cant seem to get a picture up as the file image is too large. Sorry. x

• HyppyBykerHyppyByker Posts: 146

If you 'Resize' the image to a lower pixel rate and save it you should be able to upload it.

This was a gift from a friend. His uncle grew them from seeds and planted them in a stately mansion. WHen he got laid off, he dug them up and took them with him as he said they were his hard work, so he was taking them with him.

no stones at the bottom no, but I have a bed which has shingle in, so I have stood them on this in the hope to help with drainage.

Right, lets see if I can get this picture up!

Mummy Acer.... Hoping its not a sycamore!

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

If you have had the tree for four years, how big was it when you got it? The seeds can't have come from the original, so I can only assume that they have come from another mature tree close by, which may not be the same as the original. Whatever they are, there must have been a lot of them being shed for eight to germinate in your pot,  and  I still wonder whether what you have are weed tree seedlings. You will know better once the leaves open. 

They DO look like Japanese maples to me!!!!

Looks like you have some rather attractive plantlets there. Lucky you!! You have done the right thing - just keep them somewhere sheltered outside, away from frost, which will kill them, and away from morning sun. 

@ Gold1locks I can take a picture of one of the babys, the leaves look simiar to this one (Sort of) although it is hard to tell as they are so small.

How long do seeds take to germinate? I moved on 16th December last year and took this tree with me. My garden there was situated along a railway line which had lots and lots of trees, but nothing like this ever happened. I am now in a new build area and there is not really a tree in sight, certainly not close.

Managed to take some pictures of some of the babies, I shall try and upload now (And REALLY need to start calling them seedlings!)

All seedlings started with the bigger leaves, but they have all started to get the pointed leaves such as the very tiny ones in the middle.Second picture coming up.

This is a second one of my Seedlings. I think you can see the leaves in the middle better on this one. As I said this is how they all started in the beginning with the two larger round leaves, and this is what the new ones look like which are coming up next to Mummy Acer now.