Forum home Talkback

repotting strawberries

Hi, I'm new to growing strawberries. I bought a little walk-in greenhouse and placed 12 strawberry plants that came in their own little pots in a 6 plant tray.  well, this was about 7 weeks ago, and now the strawberries are;

a) very large for the pot and;

b) there are lots of flowers on them!

So, can I repot them while they are in flower?

If so, what would be the best process?

Also, I'd like to keep them in the greenhouse and not in garden.

Thanks in advance

jonathan

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,179

Yes - pop them into bigger pots Jonathan with some fresh compost. They're growing more quickly because they're undercover. If you're keeping them  indoors you'll just have to keep an eye on the watering once the temperatures rise as they'll dry out quite quickly. Open the door during the day so that they have some ventilation and to let the bees at them. You'll have some nice fruits earlier than you'd normally have them outdoors. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Kay8Kay8 Posts: 216

As Fairygirl said... make sure you keep the doors open during the day to let the bees in, otherwise the flowers won't be pollinated (unless you do this yourself) and therefore no strawbs will be produced.

I don't blame you wanting to keep them in the greenhouse though.... so many holes in the leaves of my strawberries from slugs...!

• ChocboxChocbox Posts: 1

I grow strawberries in baskets so that the slugs and snails don't eat them. So far a complete success!

• Thanks for all the advice, im wandering whether I need to repot in thr evening? And whether I need to feed them now they are in flower?. I have a brand of levingstons tomorite. Thanks

You should feed them now they're in flower. I'm not too sure which fertiliser though?