Volunteer Work

Thought i would share some pictures of my volunteering work,today we were tidying up an old cemetery in Middleton Lancashire.

These pictures show the over grown cemetery.

Tackling the previous treat Japanese knotweed roots was not fun.

Some graft put in as we start to unearth the grave stones.

And these completed ones makes the hard graft all worth will image

Most of head stones are dated as far back as the 18th century it was fascinating and really sad at the same time the whole cemetery left untouched for years.

• Verdun its a long story so I will keep it short,I came out of work a couple of years ago due to a muscle disease disability all my life I have been a hands on mechanic, sitting at home month after month made my condition worse so I decided to look into volunteering work or a hobbie to keep me active a few days a week I found out about the green ranger volunteers and what they do said to myself I will give it try loved it from the start helping nature & wildlife felt good then I decided I would start gardening as a hobby sort of killed two birds with one stone plus the things I am learning volunteering are coming in handy gaining experience to take back home in the garden.I am now at one with nature and got the green finger bug image
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,916

What a lovely story Mikey image

I know many people find cemeteries and graveyards a bit forbidding and scary but I actually quite like them, even though I get upset going there. The one I visit is where my niece is buried and some of my parents ashes are scattered on the grave. It's very well kept and I find it very sad seeing them in such a state of neglect so what you're doing is wonderful. I hope you continue to get so much out of it.

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Mikey, what you are doing is wonderful, both for the cemetary and actually for youimage

• Tray14Tray14 Posts: 211

Wow - great way of volunteering - well done image

• Thanks all your comments are appreciated,I will keep adding pictures as we progress I go to lots of different places we clean up a lot of nature parks,woodlands

lakes and more I have had my eyes opened since I started and learnt how important our wildlife needs help it has to be the most satisfying feel you can get I recommend it to anyone who has spare time on there hands I wish more younger people would get involved I am 38 and the youngest in our group but hey ho we soldier on image
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

A very good effort and well done all the volunteers who give freely of their time and energy.  You've certainly made a huge difference to that graveyard. The village I live in has an ancient church and churchyard just down the hill from me and locals keep that well up together.  I visit sometimes as I run the village website and get queries from far flung places as to the whereabouts of family gravestones.  So far I've been quite lucky in finding the required spot and then I send back details and photographs. I do mean lucky as many of the gravestones are of Portland Stone which grows lichens particularly well. I only found one because the sun was in the right direction to show up 2 letters which gave me the Christian name of the person I was looking for.  The only problem with that is now I keep an eye out for lichens and ferns everywhere locally to add to all the other flora, fungi and  fauna I look out for and photograph. 

• DorsetUk that sounds like a great thing to do,fascinating as well image
  • Today i was at Springfield Park in Rochdale where we are weeding etc.. some boarders ready for the local collage students who will be turning them into herbaceous plant boarders as part of there horticulture courses.

Some pictures of the boarders in there sorry state after winter.

I will update with new pictures as the boarders start taking shape image

A couple of the spring boarders today.