Forum home Wildlife gardening

Help - pond is leaking!

2»

• Sarah38Sarah38 Posts: 4

Thanks Fairygirl - am off to replace the liner now. The holes don't look like claw damage - they have no 'tear-back' edges and are completely round. I'm stumped. Yes, I do have a beach area but your idea of making that shelf more protected is good - I will do that as I have some left over liner and bits and pieces I can put under the liner in case the attack's source is from the soil.  What sort of creature can penetrate a liner with a 40 year guarantee is a bit scary but I think that's all I can do. Many thanks for your reply.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 50,133

I think you definitely need something on top of the liner as well Sarah. Belt and braces image

Is it possible a person has caused the damage with something? It came into my head because yesterday I was removing the bamboo skewers I had in bare areas to deter the endless local feline population from s****ing everywhere. They would make a very small puncture hole. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Did occur to me Fairygirl, but the holes are all of differing sizes and all over the place so I put the thought away (leaving aside the idea that someone hates me....) Yesterday I emptied the old liner, took everything out, put all the frogs and wildlife into a temporary pond and laid the new liner. Worked for 7 hours and it looks great..again. However, when I lifted the temporary pond which I had made from a liner I had about 20 years ago I noticed it had exactly the same holes. I also now know that the holes were made inside the pond as they are on the inside of the liner folds, not penetrating through the 3 thicknesses. Am feeling very pessimistic about the future of my new pond. There's obviously something with very strong jaws hanging around my allotment.

Can you rig up a camera at all Sarah -just to see if you can get an idea of the culprit? I don't know what else to suggest. It would be a pain if you have the same problem after all your work.

Layering up the shelves and any other edges where there's direct access is the only solution I can think of image

Thanks for all  your suggestions Fairygirl. A camera would be difficult but will try adding lots of pebbles along the shelves and see what happens. Next try will be a preformed pond, as I'm determined to beat this!

I hope you can resolve it Sarah. It's such a valuable resource and wonderful to watch everything using it. I just realised it's an allotment pond rather than a garden one so it would be more tricky to find out what's causing it. Perhaps the preformed one is the way to go after all. Good luck image