What's eating my clematis?

Something seems to be having a go at my clematis buds. Does anyone have a suggestion of what may be having dinner at the flowers' expense? I can't believe it is slugs from the balancing they would have to do! Suggestions and solutions gratefully received image

Sorry pics are a bit fuzzy image String is nicely in focus though image 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,641

Slugs love clematis and you'd be surprised at their agility and stamina.   Bit early for earwigs which do similar damage to dahias so try a double whammy with wildlife friendly slug pellets and some straw packed into wee pots upside down on the end of sticks to trap any earwigs.

The Vendée, France
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Oh bother. Grrrr. Flipping slugs etc image 

Thanks Obelixx image

Should I start a new thread, what wildlife friendly slug pellets do you recommend?

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

yep,slugs really do ,and so do snails

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 389

I had same damage last year and it was caterpillars check under leaves and around the trellis 

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,198

Panda - if you are going to use pellets the ones with "ferric" something are better - steer clear of the methaldehyde (??) ones which exterminate everything in sight.  I find copper rings in a circle round the base of my clematis do the trick too, because slugs can actually chomp through the stems at the base and then you lose the whole lotimage (although mine did resprout, and seem none the worse for itimage)

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......

Thanks cairnsie. Will have a look tomorrow. Guess I can't 'protect' against them image

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 948

arghhhhh, me too!  My buds are hollow!  Can it really be slugs? No slime that I could see on the wall.  And how do they get to the buds?? Further investigation needed. Will try in morn.

Will def be interested in your findings noodle image Please can you let me know what your investigations turn up?

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 948

yes, will do.  I've got an open flower with no petals, just the centre. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

That doesn't sound good. At least I have some flowers that have made it open.