Potting compost error

Hi, I planted some crocus in a pot on the weekend (with the intention of pushing some tulips in next month and then topping with black mondo grass and some pansies). I've been using some potting compost that the previous owner left behind. It run out so I grabbed another sack he'd left open. Then spotted it was manure! After finishing next month I'll end up with roughly the middle third being manure, rest potting compost. Will I get amazing blooms or will it be too much?

• Ok. Will do. I put the crocus in now as thought they needed to go in earlier than tulips. Otherwise would have put the tulips under the crocus. Should I wait til November and do all, or do it slightly early for the tulips?
  • Cheers Verdun. I had thought that tulips don't do well if you put them in earlier than November.
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

In theory, tulips can get diseased if planted too early.

However, when planting up a tub it is best to plant the whole thing at once in September/October. The risk of problems with the tulips is not very high.

• Unless you plant them in manure... image

Thanks. Will sort it this weekend.
  • Got some free red tulips from my local Notcutts so am using those. Suspect they'd be old variety so might be ok. I was aware that would need to dig up / discard but thought I'd just see how they do and maybe replace year after.

I'll use the potting compost / manure under an acer that I STILL haven't got round to planting. Better hurry up.

If anyone wants to write an essay on soil/ compost / grit/ manure and how and when to use, that'd be lovely. Perhaps a feature for the magazine soon???? (although as a new reader prob my luck if it's only recently appeared)
  • It's clay. Not done a ph test but the azalea and pieris look happy so must be acid. Plus I think clay tends to be? It's decent land - not builders rubble - and lots of worms so must be pretty good. I was planting bulbs in a small woodlandy bit on the weekend and was amazed by how fat some of the worms are. I thought it was a bit of root and then it wriggled! Never seen them like that.