Forum home Plants

Planting suggestions please!

lyndsayglyndsayg Posts: 7

I have built a trough for my front garden - 170cm long x 40 cm wide x 45 cm deep and would love some suggestions for what to put in it.

Garden is NW facing, gets some evening sunlight from March-October, but it's pretty windy out there.

I'd love some good texture and colour over as long a period as possible and maybe a few edibles. I was thinking some trailing sweet peas, maybe some grasses, poppies and bulbs, perhaps some radishes and lettuce.

What do you reckon??

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198

I have a raised bed along a fence in my back garden which is the same aspect lyndsay. I have Osmanthus, Sarcococca (Christmas box) Heucheras, Tiarellas, Gaultherias - including the low growing one, and Pachysandra which are all evergreen. I have Japanese Anemones, Cimcifuga and Astilbe for summer/autumn flowering (which give verticals amongst the lower growing stuff) and lots of crocus, snowdrops, primulas and daffs. This garden is quite exposed and very windy just now, and I'm about 600 ft above sea level. Everything has wintered very well. image

The lettuce should be happy too - in fact I just said to my daughter today that I might put some in there this summer! Don't know how well the sweet peas would do, and poppies might need more sun as well. Worth trying and seeing what happens though. Carexes should be fine there,  and some of the other grasses too - can't think of any others off the top of my head at the moment though. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Geum (not sure about my spelling!) will grown almost anywhere and wind is no problem for it.  Lovely flowers as long as you keep it under control.  goes nice with pulminaria and red poppies. 

• lyndsayglyndsayg Posts: 7

Thank you Fairygirl and Tootles! Your garden sounds lovely Fairygirl, I'm definitely going to take some inspiration from that. And I love geums too, so will give them a go too.