What have I got here

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

This has appeared in my garden.

I don't recognise it as anything I've grown before though I expect I must have.

Does anyone recognise it?

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Nut if you don't know crikey help us image 

If it didn't look a bit hairy at the base I'd say spinach. I often get poisoned imageimage

• Sprig2Sprig2 Posts: 75

To me the leaves look similar to dock leaves. Obviously it is not a dock or you would know what it was. Could it be something from the same family?

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Could be a Hardy Gerbera?

The seedlings to the left look like Gerbera seedlings too

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

Thanks Sprig, I know docks all too well and it's not.

Matt, I had to google gerbera, I think mine will be a hardy plant, unless it's come in from outside the garden. The nearest outside the garden offers a choice of wheat, barley, rape and sugar beet, I don't think it's any of those

KEF, I'm not going to test it but it doesn't look like spinach in reality

I did edit my post nut, you can get hardy Gerberas which grow very well in the UK as far as I understand.

Would be nice to identify a plant that you dont know! image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

Initially I thought it looked like a brassica of some kind but those fine hairs at the base of the leaves don't look right for that.  I seem to recognise it but can't quite put my finger on it at the moment.  Something is having a munch at it, so hope it survives long enough for identification, nut!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Mattbeer87 wrote (see)

I did edit my post nut, you can get hardy Gerberas which grow very well in the UK as far as I understand.

Would be nice to identify a plant that you dont know! image

There's lots of plants I don't know Matt, alpines and  tender exotics for a start, including hardy gerberasimage

Bob, it looks familiar to me as well, I hope I'm not nurturing another high quality weedimage

I'm 99.9% sure it's a Gerbera.

Here is the one currently growing on my windowsill

I must admit the leaves do look weed like, the flowers more than make up for it though and I should imagine the bees would enjoy them too.

I'll let it develop a bit and see what happens. Matt, now you've shown me gerbera I realise I have seen them about. I don't think it's a gerbera