Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mini pond

• Mrs garden thats fantastic! Very creative. I will post pictures when we have completed ours 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,333

We once had a really small pond (in a sink - we inherited it along with the goldfish it contained) and when the weather got warm the poor goldfish were gasping for oxygen, so we got a tiny tiny water feature pump and created a sort of a waterfall with a reclaimed victorian standpipe - it aerated the water really quite well as long as you cleaned the filter every few days in the summer. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

This shows how the forum is such an inspiration and how we help each other.image

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Absolutely! Thanks cor the inspiration alice. (no more now mind, but then again full freebie inspiration suits me fine!). Off to GC for oxy plant in lunch hour tomorrow. any suggestions cor tiny one?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,333

Native hornwort, doesn't need planting - you just throw it in and it sort of floats about and grows without you having to do anything - perfect for a mini pond image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks dove.
  • I have a mini pond made out of a Belfast sink. I put in the shade, because I was worried about evaporation in the hot weather and even in the shade last summer it dropped a few inches. So I would put it in a shady patch if I was you. It's already got lesser water boatman and lots of water daphnia, I'd definitely make another. image

I think I'll need a thread on ID water creatures!
  • JodeJayJodeJay Posts: 73
    Good luck with your mini pond Alice. Ponds are so much fun and a vital habitat for so many creatures. My sons love peering in our small one and I get just as excited as they do lol.

MrsGarden, that's a terrific pond. You're making me want to make another one with an old spare dustbin lid. Think I might have a go tomorrow,
  • I put my pond in 2 weeks ago its a small plastic one that someone gave us we put oxygenated plants in & marginals around it I got loads of help from people on here we now have lots of tadpole & water snails I am so pleased with it & worth all the work I will try to put a pic on here