Forum home Wildlife gardening

Mini pond

Hi

I am keen to encourage more wildlife to our garden but a full size pond is out of the question as we live in a rented house. If I filled an old sink or something similar with water and aquatic plants, what sort of creatures could I expect To attract? My daughter is getting really interested in wildlife and i want to feed her enthusiasm image

many thanks 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I started off with a washing up bowl sunk into the ground and bought some oxygenating plants and before long tiny snails appeared then tiny insects.  I have now moved on from the washing up bowl but only doubled the size (so still very small) by digging out soil and lining it which was swiftly followed by frogs and a newt taking up residence.

So in answer to your question - definitely have a go and your daughter will be on her tummy pond watching.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

well what ever you decide washing up bowl or sink your daughter will have fun seeing and watching frogs,boatmen and much more .I remember when I was little I loved watching and catching things in the old sin.k we had and it taught me a lot.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635

In our last tiny back yard  in the inner city we sank a small (about 2/3 the height of a usual one) plastic dustbin into the ground - put some gravel in the bottom, bought a mini waterlily and put it in the dustbin with it's basket on a few bricks, add a couple of bunches of native hornweed and a jamjar full of water and minibeasts from a healthy pond.  Within a few weeks we found a frog had adopted our garden and spent a hot summer cooling off in our pond. 

It was greatimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Oh wow that's definatley worth doing then! How exciting! I can't wait to get started, thanks everyone x 

• another question- should I position it in the sun or shade? 

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Thanks peeps! At 4.30 I had no intention of having a pond, then I thought if Dove can make a pond out of a dustbin, I can make a pond out of an old freezer drawer! 

rain water and fish tank

Complete with canopy to protect from leaves and more to the point - footballs! Filled with rain water and fish tank water.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

Looks great MrsG - and probably wins ingenius idea of the weekendimage.  Let us know as soon as you get any residents....

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

That's fab MrsGarden, well done and how ingenious image I would love a little pond but I fear the hounds would harm any frogs/newts that may appear so am best not doing.

Love looking at all the ponds on here at the moment image

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

Chicky and OL thanks, I enjoyed doing it.

Alice, I think shade is better for your pond. Enjoy.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,177

Well done MrsG,  looks great. What a fantastic idea.