Forum home Wildlife gardening

My pond is a year old now but we haven't had many amphibious visitors :(

Hi, my pond is a small preformed pond and has an abundance of aquatic creatures in it including lots of what can only be described as water wood lice Scurrying about on submerged rocks. 

However we only get passing frogs and have had none spawn even though there are shallows and cover for them. I thought we may have newts because my lily had folded leaves but have yet to see any. 

Hoping we get more creatures as the weather warms up. Has anyone got any tips on how we can attract newts and toads. I was really hoping we would have taddies in it this year image 

There was one frog in it when I took this photo but the next day he had gone. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Importing frogspawn is the way a lot of people start. Not recommended for a pond with fancy expensive fish in case you import some organism you don't want. Excellent for a wildlife pond.

• JodeJayJodeJay Posts: 73

Thanks for your reply. 

It is just a wildlife pond so I'm not going to be putting in any fish. There is a natural pond near by that I think might be attracting them more. 

Keep an eye on the natural one and nick any taddies or spawnimage

There are lots of very interesting things in ponds. We got a microscope from Aldi, works with computer. Incredible sights through that.

Cheers, I'm going to go down to the natural pond tomorrow for a bit of pond dipping.

The plants are doing great, just need the frogs to stick around.
    Ps: the natural pond is just behind the garden.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

And the thing to remember is that frogs and other amphibians don't spend all their lives in ponds - they pop in and out for spawning and to cool down on hot days etc, but often live quite some way away - we used to find them in the long damp grass around the fringes of our lawns before we ever had a pond here. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi and thanks for your reply Dove. That's a very good point and it makes sense that I shouldn't find them in the pond that much.

Well I'm off now to go pond dipping with my youngest son. Who knows what we will find? image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,668

Enjoy image  We plan to go pond dipping later to bring back some mini-beasts to live in our new pond image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hope you have fun too. We have found quite a few larvae of some sort that have just gone in the garden pond.