Sunflowers

Thought i would share a picture of my sunflowers which are going strong they germinated about a week and half ago there about an inch high now image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Sowed mine today Mikey so they should be up in about a week then? (Hopefully)

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Mine are planted out, they were outgrowing their pots.

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 2,765
    My Kale has germinated too whoopee!!
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,736

Right off to sow some more sunflowers, mine are a 'no show' from a couple of weeks ago...

• MrsGarden I have outside underneath a homemade mini greenhouse we had some really nice sunny days last week which I think helped give them a boost image

Mikey, I've got some outside, some in GH and now some on windowsill! 

• Oh are they all from same package or seeds from plant you have grown ? I am really lucky I was given my packet of seeds off someone who donated some plant pots to me the packet was date 2011 I could not believe they germinated.

2 different packets, one Wilko other local nursery, but not labelled them image

• LynLyn Posts: 8,400

Mikey, sunflowers grow very quickly,  when they get another pair of leaves, re pot them in 3 inch flower pots, I sow mine in pots to start with, saves root disturbance.

Just a little advise, fill your trays with a bit more compost, sometimes the seedlings will stretch to reach the light above the tray, leading to leggy seedlings.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • Mrs G they might pop up hopefully fingers crossed for you.

Lyn thanks a lot and will do, I do have a few in pots in my shed and tbh I never thought they would germinate considering how old the packet of seeds was and I never realised how quick they would grow thanks again for the advise and I will fill my trays to the top from now on image