Forum home Plants

Agapantus.

DutchieDutchie Posts: 4

Hi, I could really use some expert advice on two Aganthus plants I bought last year for our patio. plants are roughly 80 cm. tall and I am happy that I was able to get them through the winter (mild winter, put in shed and wrapped in bubble wrap). Plants are healthy (new growth) however the containers I bought them in are not. The roots are causing the containers to burst so they need potting on. 

I read that agapanthus likes its roots being restricted (won't flower if not restricted) and do not like rich soil. So do I pot them on already, or later in the year? and what type of compost should I be using.... The flowers are so nice I would not like risking not getting any this year.

Any help is appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

I'd pot them on now, using a mix of John Innes No 2 loam based compost with a good helping (about one third) of additional horticultural grit.  The new pot needs to be slightly bigger than the old one, but not much bigger.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DutchieDutchie Posts: 4

Thanks Dove, was really wondering what to do. I have been hanging around on the forum for a year now and love reading the posts and quality feedback. Thanks again.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

Hi Dutchie image  Pop into Hello Forkers if you fancy just chatting - hardly any of us bite image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh