Forum home Talkback

Moving Seedlings ?

What would be the best way to move germinated seedlings (snow carpet) and a mixture of others. I was thinking a cheaper way would be getting a grow bag would that work to get them to grow stronger if i prick them out and separate the strong ones ??

what methods do you guys use 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045

I use an old tablefork to lift and separate seedlings into individual cells in trays or else small pots so they can grow on and develop a decent root system undisturbed.  This makes them stronger and easier to look after and eventually plant out where they are to grow to maturity.

Where possible, I sow in individual cells or pots to avoid having to disturb them later as this can check growth.  They can be easily potted on for further development wihout disturbing the fragile baby roots.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Yes indeed.  You need to prick them out v carefully into modules or 2 - 3" pots of ordinary potting compost.  I use a plant label to lift them out and a pencil or finger to make the holes.  Soak the compost beforehand so you don't need to water till the babies are a bit bigger. Firm them in gently.

I tried overwintering some Alyssum 'Snow Carpet' in the (unheated) greenhouse, along with Limanthes, Nemesia etc. They were in 2.5" pots and mostly survived if a little leggy.  I planted them out a few weeks ago and when I last saw them they were doing well.

But your timing is more conventional!

• Thanks guys 

and for doing a good job in my garden I treated myself to a Rhododendron Tortoiseshell Orange